Saturday 9 June 2012


HAPPINESS!

I have decided that I am most at peace when I am in the following three spaces:

1) In the kitchen
2) In bed
3) By the seaside.

I am so excited that my blog is turning one in a couple of weeks. I feel like I have nurtured a baby that has yet to grow. I am in awe of your constant support and thank every source of energy for my ability to live.
C'est vraiment le joie de vivre!

This meal is dedicated to one of the most amazing couples I know. Tsholo and Moagi Bodibe.
When I tried to start my in-house catering business, these two were my first clients. I remember Moagi being a bit sceptical, because Tsholo and I were running so late. I had to make a three course meal in one hour! I definitely freaked out, big time... Especially when the question came: 'Ipes, will you be done in time?'. I was not certain that I would, but what else could I do, but get in that kitchen and cook my ass off! Oh did I sweat a little.

I prepared a dinner for eight guests:

Starter:

Avocado, sweetcorn and sunflower seed salad, tossed with some fresh strawberries.



Main Course:
Prawn Curry served with Basmati rice


Please do me a favour. At some point in your life, choose to eat seafood only. I am giving myself 10 years to accomplish this form of living, because Lord knows I love me some chicken.


I sauteed these prawns in olive oil. Right now, I am winging it when I say that I used: medium curry powder, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, rosemary and a hint of black pepper.


'I've never seen you look so happy' - Mmaphuthi Morule
She is spot on... Cooking turns me on... To a wavelength of complete bliss!

'Every boy and every girl, spice up your life!'

I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in a separate pot from the prawns. This was done in the same ingredients as the prawns, but I also added some mixed herbs and extra ginger to the vegetables. I then added some peeled tomatoes and let them cook until they were soft and ripe. I mashed the tomatoes in the pot, to create a sauce for my curry. I then added some fresh, fat free cream (2 - 3 cups) and let it simmer at a low heat for 12 minutes.

I added my prawns to the sauce, once it was ready and mixed it all together. I chose to let it sit for a further 3 minutes at a low heat, but this is not a must.


Oh... I think I may have added a pinch of brown sugar to my sauce.

Dessert:
Malva pudding with a remixed hot-custard dressing

I am not at all equipped in the dessert part of my cheffing story. They say that practise makes perf. I have a lot of practising to do herewith.
I had some left over strawberries, some chocolate/vanilla ice cream and some custard.

What the frick can one do with these ingredients, that will make them appear less boring?
(personal opinion)
So I took the risk of slowly mixing everything together on a heated plate, until I got it to taste like something wonderful. I added some lemon juice (THE SAVIOUR) and concentrated on creating a sweet, zesty sauce that would compliment the sticky malva pudding.



By the looks of it, I also added some sliced banana and fresh cream to the pudding sauce.
WOW, I'm such a chancer... Ha!



This is not the best look, but trust me... All's well...



... Ends well?
I hope that the meal was enjoyable for all.
I will be offering my services to those of you who want to warm up with each other this winter.
The going rate is R100/pp excl. groceries... I think that's fair... Tell me you'll have a three course meal at a restaurant for the same price and I'll throw in a free sandwich for the kids!


Happy Days!
Khaleesi of the *UNIVERSE*/GlassTableGirl x


P.S. I have an idea... I like to call it... SALE SAMEDI (Dirty Saturdays... with a silent 'e')
Jah bless!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Ips! I'm so proud of you! Keep doing what you love and life will fall into place ;) Bonne chance ma belle!!! X x x x B

    ReplyDelete