Wednesday 15 January 2014

A Message From Glass Table Girl:

For Mmaphuthi "Motswako" Morule.





In the year 2011, I was sitting in the bedroom of my beautiful God-Soul-Sister, aka Pharrell's ex-sister-in-law, Muptee. I actually remember this day. I woke up in my own house, hopped into my car (pyjamas and all) and drove to go and have a play-date (which was really just a duvet-day) with one of my favourite people in the world. 

I remember expressing my frustration to her about my failure to remember the ways in which I prepared food and telling her how much I wanted to start some sort of blog (because it was the in-thing to start a blog at the time); whereby I could write about my heart's desires and record my recipes as they flow.

I am so happy that she pushed me to start my blog, especially considering that I was not really sure of what the hell a blog was, at the time. She actually inspired the name of this site, Glass Table Girl. We had had a relatively wild weekend before that, making insane beats with a friend in the stu, playing in the streets of Johannesburg (which I have grown to appreciate more this year). It was on that weekend, that Mmaphuthi introduced me to The Weeknd's "House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls". - At one of her legendary house-parties, of course. We had the song on repeat all night, much to the dislike of fellow party goers, but as the saying goes: "No hair don't care".

So, whilst we were (she was) setting up the blog, we ran through a list of possible names for the blog. I remember the look on her face when I said: "MOGWANTS, CAN I CALL IT GLASS TABLE GIRLS"... Silence filled the room, as she looked at me in an awkward stare. Her response was: "But Mogwants, there is only ONE GIRL running this blog. So I dropped the 's' and boom shaka, my blog was born and it will be running for three years, come June 21st! To think that I almost backed out of this commitment, thank goodness she stopped me from trying to do so.

I would like to thank this woman for always inspiring me to be myself. For understanding me, even when she is unsure (which is most of the time, ha ha) and for pushing me to be outchea (wow, there is a time and place to use that word for the first time). Mostly, I would like to thank Mmaphuthi for keeping me young and always making sure that I am up to speed with my street credibility and technological game.


Without you, there would be no other.

Merci, ma soeur! 

Gros L'amour,
Khaleesi Ipeleng of the *UNIVERSE* x

P.S. That same weekend, whilst making beats, I almost fell through a glass table, because she made me laugh so hard, that I rolled over the back of the couch and landed head-first in the gap between the glass table and the front of the couch; so the title of my blog is ever-so-fitting! Ha, Good times indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment