Monday 3 June 2013

AMAZING SH*T!
 
 

 
 
I am so happy that I waited until this past Saturday night to listen to a little piece of the new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories. Ordinarily, I am one of those fans who would sleep outside the CD Warehouse (A CD store in South Africa), waiting to listen to and buy any new album of one of my favourite musicians or bands 
 
It was around February 2013, when I heard rumours that Pharrell Williams and Daft Punk secretly collaborated on some of the artistry of this album. At first I was in disbelief, because I thought to myself...
 
'What are the chances that two of my all-time favourite artists would produce music together?'
 
 Alas, the rumours came true and the next thing I noticed is that time lines and status updates appeared filled with news about the above-mentioned legends.

What is it about catching onto a trend? I have never seen so much hype around Daft Punk... Then again, we were not previously attached to social networking, which allowed for our expressive beings to be more internally bound. The level of our intimacy of appreciation has actually decreased, in my opinion, due to our consistent and obsessive use of social media, nowadays.
 
I feet slightly perturbed though, at the amount of hype that surrounded the release of this album. I know and I understand why such a hype would exist, but all of a Sunday, EVERYONE has become a Daft Punk fan. It is better to arrive late, than never at all, is what they teach us in life.

 Never did I think that I would say "Pharrell is over-exposed", because I am his die-hard fan. I just feel that the way in which his new works have been released have allowed for so many of us to kill the records, by over-playing both his new single with Robin Thicke and T.I. 'Blurred Lines'; as well as his genius work with Daft Punk on their song, 'Get Lucky'. Unfortunately for new-age music lovers, some of the original fans have been overwhelmed by the constant repetition of these originally beautiful songs, which, I feel, have now become seriously cheesy. I must admit though, that Fashion TV had a soulful remix of 'Get Lucky' that I believe to be MUCH BETTER than the original.
 
I find it difficult to view or listen to art that is surrounded by too much hype, because I am then somewhat coerced to agree with the most popular opinion of such art; without having a clarified idea of really taking in what the artist is offering me. I am so happy that I waited this long to listen to this album, because my appreciation for the songs therewith (all two of the ones that I have listened to) is even greater than I anticipated.

One of my friends says that I am 'anti-establishment' and this is the apparent cause of my lack of conformity to our societal mind-set. Ha ha! I am not anti anything, I am just living my life at my own pace and I would not choose to do so in any other way. I will continue to listen to this album and for the first time in a long time, I will venture out to the store and actually buy it.

YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME, IF YOU LOVE THIS WORK AS MUCH AS I DO!

Even though, I have minimal experience in that I have not yet completed my listening of this album, I KNOW THAT "Doin' It Right"  is definitely my favourite song off of Random Access Memories.

I am so proud to be a fan of the Robots. It has been +/-15 years and we are still going strong :)
 
Keep on Rockin' to the Rhythm :)
 
Best,
Khaleesi x
 
P.S. This is the epitome of what I deem to be: perfected art.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment